Happy Flag Day
In the United States, Flag Day is celebrated on June 14. It commemorates the adoption of the flag of the United States, which happened on that day in 1777 by resolution of the Second Continental Congress. The United States Army also celebrates the Army Birthday on this date; Congress adopted “the American continental army” after reaching a consensus position in the Committee of the Whole on June 14, 1775.
In 1916, President Woodrow Wilson issued a proclamation that officially established June 14 as Flag Day; in August 1949, National Flag Day was established by an Act of Congress.
- FLAG DAY …. June 14, 2013 (hrexach.wordpress.com)
- Flag Day and Its History (dcclothesline.com)
- Honoring Flag Day (grumpyelder.com)
- Posted in: General ♦ Holidays
- Tagged: Congress, Continental Army, Flag Day, June 14, Second Continental Congress, United States, United States Flag, Woodrow Wilson